Your child’s doctor and practice nurse

In the early years you and your tamariki will need lots of help and advice about sickness and keeping healthy.

Enrol with a general practice

It is important to enrol your tamariki with a general practice at birth or as soon as possible after that. The doctor and practice nurse will want to get to know you and your tamariki and give you the help you need. This includes the first immunisations at 6 weeks old.

Immunisations for babies and toddlers

It is easy to enrol and costs nothing. Once your tamariki is enrolled, visits to general practice, after-hours services, and prescriptions are usually free until they are 14 years old. 

General practices

Your midwife or Well Child Tamariki Ora nurse will be able to help you. 

First immunisations at 6 weeks

It is important that you enrol your tamariki with a general practice early so you can take them for their first immunisations at 6 weeks of age.

Immunisation protects your tamariki from some serious but preventable diseases.

Immunisations for babies and toddlers

Ongoing care and advice

The doctor and practice nurse are there to provide you with health advice and information and to treat your tamariki if they are sick. Staying with the same general practice means you will get to know your doctor and practice nurse. They will know you and your whānau well and can offer ongoing support for any health issues. They will also support you if your tamariki needs specialist care or help in using other health services.

When your tamariki is sick

When your tamariki is sick, take them to the doctor rather than the hospital. If the doctor's practice is closed, and they are too sick to wait until they open, take them to the local after hours clinic.

To find out where your local after hours clinic is, call Healthline on 0800 611 116

Get help quickly or phone 111 in an emergency if your tamariki show any sickness danger signs.

Childhood sickness — danger signs

Extra support for tamariki

If you, your tamariki, or any whānau members need extra support, your doctor or practice nurse will be able to help you find this. For example, if your child has a disability or special needs, they can contact your local needs assessment service to see what extra help is available.

How to access support — Whaikaha (external link)

Last updated: