Ngā ratonga hauora hinengaro

Mental health services

Most people will be referred to mental health services through their GP or family doctor. In this section you can find out what to do in an emergency and other support including phone and online services and information.

Getting help

If you are concerned about someone's behaviour and think they may harm themselves or someone else:

  • call 111 or take them to the Accident and Emergency Department (A&E) at your nearest hospital
  • phone your nearest hospital, or your district's psychiatric emergency service or mental health crisis assessment team
  • stay with them and help them to stay safe until support arrives.