Find out how the National Travel Assistance scheme supports eligible people who need to travel long distances or travel frequently for specialist treatment.
How to claim travel assistance
- Your hospital travel coordinator, health or disability specialist, or nominated social worker will need to help you register for travel assistance. They will send the completed registration form to Health New Zealand | Te Whatu Ora.
- Health New Zealand will assess your application.
- If you are eligible, a confirmation letter and blank claim forms will be sent to your mailing address.
File a claim
- Complete each claim form.
- Get it signed and stamped by the facility or hospital. You can also attach a signed and stamped proof of attendance. This can be a hospital appointment discharge card, letter or note, on hospital letterhead paper.
- Attach your receipts. They must be original and itemised.
- When you make your first claim, attach a deposit slip, the top of your bank statement, or account verification from your bank. If your bank account details change at any time, repeat this with your new bank account details.
- For some claims, we ask you to wait until the minimum number of visits has been attended before submitting your first claim.
- You must put in a claim for travel assistance within 12 months of the date of the appointment.
- Send completed forms to:
National Travel Assistance Sector Operations Health New Zealand
PO Box 1026