Ngā ratonga haumanu ā-wharenoho Live in treatment services

Live in treatment services are available if you need intensive help with alcohol or drug problems. There are 3 types of live in treatment service — residential, support houses and drug treatment units.

Getting help if you are drunk or on drugs

Who these services are for

Live in treatment services are for people who are finding it hard to manage alcohol or drug use in their daily lives. 

Residential services

Residential services provide a live in situation. The location of facilities is discreet and your privacy is respected.

Who they are for

Residential services are for people who have been trying to get off alcohol, drugs, or both, for a long time but do not feel there are other options left to try. You will need to live with other people who are recovering from alcohol or drug addictions.

What to expect

These services are available for certain period of time. Ongoing high level support services will be provided.

More information about residential treatment centres and how they can support your recovery are on the Drug Help website.

Drug Help (external link)

Who provides the service

Residential services are provided by non-governmental organisations and private clinics.


Most are free, but private clinics charge a fee.

How to access

Support houses

A support house is like a halfway house that offers extra support while you go through recovery.

Who they are for

For people waiting to start a residential live-in programme, or have finished a programme but are not quite ready to return to their usual living situation.

What to expect

You will live with others in a drug and alcohol free home and receive support during your recovery.

Who provides the service

Non-governmental agencies and private providers.

How much it costs

There may be some charge. You may be able to get financial help with living expenses so check with Work and Income.

Residential support subsidy — Work and Income (external link)

How to access

For information about support house options contact the any of the below helplines.

Alcohol drug helpline

Māori helpline

Pasifika helpline

Youth helpline

If living in will not work for you

There are other options if a residential service is not suitable for you. 

Community treatment services

Drug treatment units

Drug treatment units provide a group based programme for prisoners who would like to be alcohol free or drug free.

Who provides the programme

This programme is provided by the Department of Corrections.

Specialised units — Department of Corrections (external link)

How much it costs

This is a free programme.

How to access the programme

Talk to your case manager in prison and ask to be referred to the Drug Treatment Unit. You may need to meet certain criteria to access this service.

Last updated: