Choose a lead maternity carer
A lead maternity carer is the midwife or doctor who will look after you and your pēpi. When you find out you are pregnant you should choose 1 as early as possible. This is very important for your health and for your pēpi.
Your lead maternity carer will:
- look after you while you you are pregnant
- look after you during labour and birth
- give you the information you need to make decisions around your pregnancy and birth
- care for you and your pēpi until your pēpi is 6 weeks old
- be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for urgent care.
Take any questions to your visits, or contact them during working hours. If you have an urgent concern, contact them immediately, at any time.
Find a midwife or doctor
To find a midwife or doctor in your area, talk to your healthcare provider. You can also visit the Find Your Midwife website.
Your choices during pregnancy
For some people pregnancy can be a difficult time. You may need someone to talk to or you may want some specific support. Your midwife or your doctor will be able to talk to you about any issues you face.
If you want to know more about abortion: