Immunisations protect you and your tamariki from infectious disease and getting really sick. Find out the many other reasons why immunisation benefits you, your tamariki, your whānau, and your community.
The benefits of immunisation
Immunisation protects your tamariki, whānau, and community
After access to clean water, immunisation is the most effective health intervention in the world for saving lives.
- stops adults and tamariki from getting really sick and having to go to hospital
- stops people dying from diseases that could be prevented
- reduces the risk of having long-term health issues and disabilities caused by disease
- stops people from passing diseases to their whānau, particularly to those who may not have strong immune systems
- keeps your community safe by stopping the spread of disease — sometimes called ‘herd immunity’
- may mean having to take less time off school or work due to your whānau getting sick
- during pregnancy helps keep both you and your baby safe.